- Discover the historic homesteads, estates and private gardens of the ACT and NSW and experience the poignancy of Anzac Day in the nation’s capital.
Homesteads and Gardens of the National Capital
Canberra, Braidwood, Bungendore and Yass with Trisha Dixon
24–28 April 2020 (5 days)
Discover the historic homesteads, estates and private gardens of the ACT and NSW and experience the poignancy of Anzac Day in the nation’s capital.
With Canberra as your base, and in the company of landscape photographer and writer Trisha Dixon, travel to the nearby stations and properties that have been home to those who have shaped Australia’s cultural history.
Further afield in Braidwood, Bungendore and Yass, see the country homesteads and properties depicted by famous artists whose works hang at the National Gallery of Australia, where we will enjoy a private viewing.
AT A GLANCE:
• Explore the historic homes and gardens of the ACT and NSW, including Micalago Station, Palerang and Lambrigg, all telling their unique stories
• Gain privileged access to private gardens in Canberra, and Braidwood, Bungendore and Yass in country NSW
• At the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra, enjoy a private viewing of the collection of paintings inspired by the unique Australian landscapes of the surrounding area
• Commemorate Anzac Day with the Dawn Service at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra
Friday 24 April 2020 / Arrive Canberra
Arrive in Canberra and make your way to the hotel. Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your flights and other travel arrangements.
Join your tour leader, Trisha Dixon, and fellow travellers at 14:30 for a welcome briefing at the hotel before visiting the National Gallery of Australia. Enjoy a private curator-led viewing of George Lambert’s painting, The Squatter’s Daughter, the landscape to be viewed at Micalago Station on the next day of the tour. In the early evening, and enjoy a special welcome dinner. (D)
Sat 25 Apr / Canberra (Micalago)
Awake before first light to experience the Anzac Day Dawn Service at the Australian War Memorial. Honour the Anzac legacy in the heart of the nation as notes of the bugle ring out over Lake Burley Griffin.
After breakfast, travel south to Micalago Station, a historical pioneer homestead and the location of multiple film sets including My Brilliant Career in 1979, for a guided tour around the garden and a visit to the site where George Lambert painted his iconic The Squatter’s Daughter. Enjoy genuine country hospitality when you take lunch on the property with the rugged Snowy Mountains as your backdrop and the garden awash with golden autumn hues. Return to Canberra in the late afternoon and enjoy the evening at leisure. (BL)
Sun 26 Apr / Canberra (Gundaroo and Yass)
This morning visit the country town of Gundaroo. Visit a private garden owned by an assortment of notable Australians that delicately balances history while reflecting the region’s harsh physical environment.
Visit an iconic food and wine destination on the outskirts of Collector and enjoy lunch on a private property in a converted historic woolshed.
Continue to Yass and visit master landscaper Fleur Flanery’s contemporary private garden. Current convenor of the Australian Landscape Conference, Fleur has created a garden in stark contrast to the properties visited on the tour. Encircled by the Yass River on three sides, this beautiful garden is at the cutting edge of Australian landscape design. Return to Canberra in the afternoon and enjoy the evening at leisure. (BL)
Mon 27 Apr / Canberra (Bungendore and Braidwood)
After breakfast drive to Bungendore and visit the Bungendore Woodworks Gallery before exploring the historic village and antique stores. Nestled in a green valley in the Southern Tablelands, this colonial township tells unique national stories of the gold rush and the bushrangers who followed when gold was struck.
Continue to Palerang where the original 1840s coach inn was transformed into a homestead estate where poet David Campbell and a collection of colourful characters have rested their heads throughout the property’s intriguing history. Enjoy lunch on this private property.
Then, visit charming Braidwood, a National Trust-listed town, and visit Mona Farm, where English heritage intertwines with the rich Australian landscape. Return to Canberra in the late afternoon and enjoy a light dinner at leisure at the hotel. (BLD)
Tue 28 Apr / Canberra (Lambrigg)
This morning, visit Lambrigg, the former home of William Farrer, the internationally renowned agronomist who transformed Australia’s wheat industry in the early 1900s. The property’s ingeniously designed stately garden overlooks the winding Murrumbidgee River and the sweeping 730 hectare property that remains a working sheep and cattle farm.
Enjoy a farewell lunch with Trisha and fellow travellers. Suggested departure from Canberra on flights departing from 4pm. (BL)
- Renaissance Tours: Homesteads and Gardens of the National Capital Download
“Trisha has the most amazing contacts and always pulls together an itinerary full of surprising venues that we would never have the opportunity to see other than on her well-researched tours.”
Judith G. / LANDSCAPES OF THE NSW SOUTH COAST 2019
“Trisha had excellent local knowledge. She was friendly, professional and great fun.”
Anne E. / AUTUMN ON MONARO 2018
Prices in $AUD
Per person, twin-share: AUD 2,950
Single supplement*: AUD 500
Deposit per person (at time of booking): AUD 750
Final payment due: 24 February 2020
*All prices are per person, in AUD
*Single travellers may request to share. Please advise at time of booking.
Tour code: SB2003
Fitness level: Above Moderate Please see booking conditions for fitness level definitions.
Flights: Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
Tour price includes:
• Accommodation in a centrally-located 5-star hotel with breakfast daily (B)
• Meals as per itinerary (L = Lunch, D = Dinner), including wines with meals (except dinner on Monday, 27th April)
• Transportation throughout on comfortable air-conditioned coaches
• Comprehensive sightseeing including local guides and entrance fees as per itinerary
• Introductory talk by your tour leader, Trisha Dixon
• Airport transfer on departure, according to itinerary
• Gratuities for local guides and drivers
Tour price does not include:
• Flights to/from Canberra (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
• Airport/hotel transfers on arrival and if not departing on tour end day according to the itinerary
• Hotel porterage on arrival
Items of a personal nature, including telephone, laundry, taxis, minibar, room service etc.
• Travel insurance (recommended; please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
Canberra – Hyatt Hotel Canberra *****
NB: Hotel of a similar standard may be substituted.
Pre-and post-tour accommodation is available at this hotel. + Rates as follows:
Park King room including breakfast AUD 375 per room (twin/double share)
Park King room including breakfast AUD 350 per room (single room)
+subject to availability