- Australia - Victoria
ART AND NATURE: Conflict and Harmony in the Landscape - internationally renowned landscape and garden designers explore how gardens can engage our increasingly urbanised populations, through the introduction of natural beauty in all its forms. Nine speakers, including James Basson from France, Thomas Doxiadis from Greece, Diana Wiesner from Colombia and Australian experts Phillip Johnson and Tim Entwisle will challenge, inspire, entertain and inform.
Garden tour 18 September, Conference 19 and 20 September, Speakers' dinner 19 September, Workshops 21 and 22 September.
Australian Landscape Conference 2015 Program
Saturday 19 September
Welcome: Warwick Forge, Conference Director
Opening: Professor Tim Entwisle
Avoiding the Predictable: migration of plants, objects and cultures: Martin Rein-Cano
Designing with Nature: Phillip Johnson
Places for Dreaming: Xavier Perrot
Rapporteur: Morning speakers with Peter Watts
Lessons from the Landscape: inspiration from local materials, artisans and the natural systems: James Basson
Landscape Networks in Bogota, Colombia: Diana Wiesner
Symbiosis: Designing for new uses in historic Mediterranean Landscapes: Thomas Doxiadis
Rapporteur: Afternoon Speakers with Peter Watts
Close of Plenary Session
Barge transfer to Speakers’ Dinner departs Southgate Floating Landing at 5.45pm sharp!
Speakers’ Dinner Royal South Yarra Lawn Tennis Club, Williams Road North, South Yarra
Sunday 20 September
21st Century Community Projects: Diana Wiesner
Designing through poverty: creatively changing the cost/benefit of landscape projects: Thomas Doxiadis
Warner’s Nurseries, Major Sponsor
Generative Planting Design: James Basson
Rapporteur: Morning speakers with Peter Watts
Time Spirit and Place: Viesturs Cielens
The Crystalline Garden: Xavier Perrot
Authenticity in Landscape Design: Vorbild + Nachbild (Images and after images): Martin Rein-Cano
Rapporteur: Conference speakers with Peter
Garden Tour – Friday 18 Sept 2015
Our tour takes us to the spectacular Dandenong Ranges National Park to visit unique gardens which nestle amongst lush fern gullies and towering mountain ash – tallest hardwoods known to man and endemic to Victoria and Tasmania. Cloudehill, Burnham Beeches and Philip Johnson’s private garden are complemented by outstanding suburban gardens by Andrew Laidlaw and Robert Boyle. Book early as numbers are limited.
(The tour is confined to delegates).
* PHIL JOHNSON’S OLINDA GARDEN This award winning Australian garden nestles into the mountainside, so that garden and natural landscape become one – a perfect bush sanctuary with billabong, boardwalks and bathing outdoors.
* CLOUDEHILL, JEREMY FRANCIS Rated one of the world’s most beautiful gardens, with 25 garden spaces including herbaceous borders, breathtaking bulb meadow, forest glades, rare and endangered species, a new potager and much more. In situ sculpture, Diggers Nursery, restaurant and gift shop on site.
* BURNHAM BEECHES, SHERBROOKE One of Australia’s truly iconic gardens, and a well kept secret. Stroll the magnificent grounds, boasting produce gardens, emu enclosure, 500tree truffiere, and The Piggery Cafe. Take in the majesty of the 1930’s Art Moderne mansion, being resurrected and reimagined under the loving vision of acclaimed chefrestrateur, Shannon Bennett. A rare opportunity to step back to a time of glamour, Empire and romance.
* HAWTHORN GARDEN, ANDREW LAIDLAW A vibrant, plant driven garden combining stylish practical spaces for modern family life. This nurturing retreat with its children’s space responds superbly to its brief for an atypical Hawthorn garden.
* IVANHOE GARDEN, ROBERT BOYLE LANDSCAPE DESIGN Blending formal and informal elements, this beautiful garden gently transcends a sloping site via a series of integrated spaces, exuberant planting and meandering pathways to a natural style billabong merging with the Yarra River at its feet.
DATE Fri 18 Sept 2015 TIME 8.15 – 5.30pm (TBC) INCLUDES Vue de Monde boxed lunch, coach, guide, entry fees and garden notes. Dep/Ret Melbourne Convention Centre COST $165
BOOK Via registration form or website
CONTACT Jenny Wade t: 0409 000 089 or e: firstname.lastname@example.org Bookings subject to availability. Tour may be varied or cancelled if circumstances change. A 75% refund is available for cancellations prior to 1 Sept 2015. No refunds after that date.
Post Conference workshops Monday 21 and Tuesday 22 September
90 minute sessions presented by leading experts on design and horticulture including three by international speakers. They enable interactive discussions and learning experiences and are limited to 30 people.
Workshops are open to non-delegates.
DATE: Monday and Tuesday 21 and 22 Sept 2015
TIME: 8.45am-5pm daily (See Workshop Program below for session times)
VENUE: Burnley Campus, University of Melbourne, Yarra Boulevard, Burnley
COST: $75 per workshop
BOOK: Via registration form or website
CONTACT: email@example.com or 0409 000 089
ALC WORKSHOP PROGRAM: Monday 21st and Tuesday 22nd September 2015
James Basson, France – 9am – 10.30am
Creative Design Solutions – Thinking Outside the Box (Monday only)
Challenging Spaces – Dynamic Solutions (Tuesday only)
Amander Flaherty, Light on Landscape – 9am – 10.30am (Monday and Tuesday)
Martin Rein-Cano, Athens – 11am – 12.30pm (Monday only)
Streets as Public Spaces: Including the Significance of Trees & Planting Concepts
Scott Leung/Myles Broad, Eckersley Garden Architecture 11am – 12.30pm (Monday and Tuesday)
Draping Architecture with Greenery
Rodger & Gwen Elliot, Australian Plants & Gardens Specialists
11am – 12.30pm and 1.30pm – 3pm (Tuesday only)
Habitat Gardens with Australian Plants
Diana Wiesner, Colombia, 1.30pm – 3.00pm (Monday only)
Greening our Cities
Erik van Zuilekom, Fytogreen – 1.30pm – 3.00pm (Monday and Tuesday)
Vertical Garden Design – Practical Considerations for Ecological Planting on the Vertical
Tim Sansom, The Diggers Club – 3.30pm – 5.00pm (Monday and Tuesday)
“What’s Old is New” focusing on heirloom vegetables, annual flowers and perennials for Australian gardens
Robert Boyle, Robert Boyle Landscape Design – 3.30pm – 5.00pm (Monday and Tuesday)
Water in the Australian Landscape
- Australian Landscape Conference Brochure 2015 Download
If I had a dollar for every time I’ve told someone I believe your conferences are without equal anywhere in the world, I’d be a wealthy man!
Rick Darke, International speaker, author and presenter (2007 ALC Conference), Landenburg, PA USA
Brilliant designers and a brilliant conference, Congratulations Warwick and Sue – just marvellous!
Annie Coney, Auckland
The conference just keeps getting better and better. The mix of overseas and local speakers was truly inspiring and the value of the opportunity to connect with other hort professionals is unequalled in this country.
Paul Urquhart, International Garden Jet-Setter, author and one-time Editor, Your Garden
2 day conference 19 and 20 September $595
Garden tour 18 September $165
Speakers' dinner $75 (plus barge transfer from Southbank to venue $30 return)
Workshops 21 and 22 Septmber $75 each