- Australia - NSW and ACT
- Explore the historic homesteads, private gardens and artists’ studios of the Monaro Plateau at the height of its autumnal glory, where art, horticulture and history come together.
Autumn on Monaro – Art, Gardens and History of the High Country with Trisha Dixon
23–27 April 2018 (5 days)
Explore the historic homesteads, private gardens and artists’ studios of the Monaro Plateau at the height of its autumnal glory, where art, horticulture and history come together.
AT A GLANCE…
• Explore the historic houses and gardens of the Monaro, including Hazeldean Merino Stud, Micalago Station, Curry Flat and Shirley
• Visit the gardens and studio of renowned Australian contemporary artist Imants Tillers
• Enjoy a poignant commemoration of ANZAC Day in Jindabyne
• Extend your experience with a tour to the 2018 Canberra International Music Festival, attending at least six performances of music ranging from established classical works to exciting world premieres
MONDAY 23 APRIL 2018 / ARRIVE CANBERRA
Arrive in Canberra and make your way to the hotel. Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your flights and other travel arrangements.
In the evening, join Trisha and fellow travellers for a special welcome dinner. (D)
TUE 24 APR / CANBERRA – JINDABYNE
After breakfast, travel south to Micalago Station, a historical pioneer homestead and the location of multiple film sets including My Brilliant Career in 1979, for a guided tour around the garden and a visit to the site where George Lambert painted his iconic The Squatter’s Daughter. After lunch at the estate, continue to Jindabyne in the foothills of the Snowy Mountains, our base for the next three nights.
The evening is at leisure. (BL)
WED 25 APR / JINDABYNE
In the mid-morning, join Jindabyne locals for a special Anzac Day commemorative service in Banjo Paterson Park, where mounted horsemen and women from the Snowy Mountains honour their ancestors who enrolled in the Light Horse Regiment. Following the service and morning tea at the Community Centre, travel to Wild Brumby distillery to enjoy a lunch of local produce, set amongst sculptured gardens and a working raspberry farm. Then continue to Bullocks Flat for an exploratory walk along historic trails, past the relics of a 1910s steam engine once used for sawmilling and the homestead of Dr. Bullock himself, tracing the Thredbo River.
Return to the hotel for the remainder of the afternoon and evening at leisure. (BL)
TUE 26 APR / JINDABYNE AND MONARO
Today, explore three private gardens of historical significance in the Monaro region. Start at Curry Flat, where the late 19th century homestead maintains its original features, situated within a beautifully appointed garden complete with sundial rose garden and reflecting pond.
Continue to Shirley, for lunch within the garden established by one family across three generations. Recently redesigned by leading landscaper Paul Bangay, the garden displays a love of European sensibilities with its formal parterres, expansive lawns, secret gardens, opulent autumn foliage and spectacular lake.
In the afternoon travel to Hazeldean, a property over 150 years old where century-old elms encircle the homestead and create an English-style parkland. Courtyard gardens, traditional plantings, stone terracing and vistas of Monaro Plains all complement this tranquil setting. (BL)
FRI 27 APR / JINDABYNE – COOMA – CANBERRA
Check out from the hotel and return to Canberra. En route, visit the studio and garden of contemporary artist Imants Tillers. As one of Australia’s most significant contemporary artists, his work reflects a continued interest in the idea of place, landscapes and contemporary culture.
For those departing Canberra today, tour arrangements conclude either upon arrival at Canberra airport at 15:00 for flights departing from 17:00 onwards, or in Canberra city at 15:30.
For those joining our 2018 Canberra International Music Festival tour, tour arrangements commence in central Canberra at 17:00. (B)
- Renaissance Tours: Autumn on Monaro with Trisha Dixon Download
No testimonials exist at this time.
Prices in $AUD
Per person, twin-share: AUD $2,850
Single supplement*: AUD $500
Deposit per person (at time of booking): AUD $500
Final payment due: 09 March 2018
Tour code: SB1803A
Fitness level: Moderate
Please see booking conditions for fitness level definitions.
Flights: Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
Tour price includes:
• Accommodation in centrally located hotels with private facilities and breakfast daily (B)
• Meals as per itinerary (L = Lunch, D = Dinner)
• Hotel/Airport transfer on departure
• Comprehensive garden visits and entrance fees as per itinerary
• Transportation throughout on comfortable air-conditioned coaches
• Gratuities for local guides and drivers
• Hotel porterage (one piece per person)
Tour price does not include:
• Flights to/from Canberra (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
• Airport/Hotel transfer on arrival
• Items of a personal nature, including telephone, laundry, taxis, minibar, room service etc.
• Travel insurance (recommended; please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
Canberra – Hotel Kurrajong ****
Jindabyne – Rydges Horizons Snowy Mountains****
NB: Hotels of a similar standard may be substituted.