- Australia - Victoria
- Join writer and landscape photographer Trisha Dixon for an exploration of a selection of superb private, heritage and botanic gardens in Melbourne and the Mornington Peninsula.
Private Gardens of Victoria with Trisha Dixon
Melbourne, the Mornington Peninsula and Queenscliff
15–20 November 2020 (6 days)
Join writer and landscape photographer Trisha Dixon for an exploration of a selection of superb private, heritage and botanic gardens in Melbourne and the Mornington Peninsula.
Wander through the leafy suburb of Toorak and visit gardens belonging to prominent landscape designers. Then, enjoy the rare opportunity to visit Bickleigh Vale Village gardens in Mooroolbark, originally constructed by renowned landscape designer Edna Walling in the 1920s, before soaking up the tranquil atmosphere of Cruden Farm, the botanic legacy of the late Dame Elisabeth Murdoch.
Also visit meticulously manicured private gardens along the Mornington Peninsula’s ‘Millionaire’s Mile’ and take the ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff to visit the Coriyule homestead, an award-winning heritage estate.
AT A GLANCE:
• Visit a series of superb private gardens in their peak springtime bloom
• Explore the stunning gardens created by renowned landscape designer Edna Walling
• Wander through Cruden Farm, once owned by the late Dame Elisabeth Murdoch
• Accompany contemporary landscape designer Fiona Brockhoff on a walking tour of gardens on the Mornington Peninsula’s ‘Millionaire’s Mile’
• Take advantage of this year’s Garden DesignFest (14-15 November) in Melbourne immediately before the tour begins
Sunday 15 November 2020 / Arrive Melbourne
Arrive in Melbourne and make your own way to the hotel for check-in from 14:00. Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your flights and other travel arrangements. At 18:00, join Trisha and fellow travellers for a welcome briefing before dinner in the inner-city suburb of Windsor.(D)
Mon 16 Nov / Melbourne
This morning transfer to Bickleigh Vale Village to visit a series of gardens originally created by renowned landscape designer Edna Walling in the 1920s. Enjoy access to private gardens not usually open to the public and appreciate the unique setting of the English-style country landscaping which has retained its original character. Enjoy lunch at one of the homes in Bickleigh Vale before continuing returning back to Melbourne to visit a special private garden.Return to the hotel and enjoy the evening at leisure. (BL)
Tue 17 Nov / Melbourne – Sorrento
Begin this morning with a tour of a private garden in the leafy inner-city suburb of Toorak, including the contemporary urban garden of landscape designer Fiona Brockhoff.
Continue to Cranbourne Botanic Gardens and wander through the Australian Garden, a space which has been carefully curated to reflect diverse landscapes and flora from across the continent. This afternoon visit Cruden Farm, the idyllic gardens of the late Dame Elisabeth Murdoch. Revel in the glorious colour of late spring blooms and explore the variety of styles and plantings scattered throughout. Transfer to Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula and check in to the hotel in time for dinner. (BD)
Wed 18 Nov / Sorrento
This morning join Fiona Brockhoff for a walking tour of ‘Millionaire’s Row’, on the headland of the Mornington Peninsula, and visit a meticulously manicured, private coastal garden along the way. Enjoy an exclusive visit to a private modern Australian garden, bursting with local indigenous plants that blur the boundaries between cultivation and wilderness.
Enjoy time at leisure for lunch and to explore the boutiques and cafés of idyllic Sorrento, before transferring to a private garden to enjoy wine and cheese in the tranquil grounds. Dinner this evening is at a restaurant in Sorrento. (BD)
Thu 19 Nov / Sorrento – Queenscliff
Begin the morning with a visit to a private garden in the lush Red Hill region, famous for its maritime climate and rich, deep red clay which gives the numerous local wineries a distinctive terroir. Enjoy lunch and a guided tour of the homely gardens of the Forge family at Merricks Estate before continuing to The Diggers Club at Dromana. Here, enjoy a guided visit to the gardens and nursery to learn about The Diggers Foundation’s work, which specialises in planting from heirloom seeds and practising traditional horticulture techniques. Then transfer to Sorrento Wharf for a ferry to Queenscliff. Check-in to the hotel in the late afternoon and enjoy the evening at leisure. (BL)
Fri 20 Nov / Depart Queenscliff
This morning, enjoy time at leisure to explore the historic town before visiting Coriyule homestead and garden in Curlewis, an award-winning, architecturally-designed heritage estate. Enjoy a guided visit to the house and grounds before a farewell lunch with Trisha and your fellow travellers. Return by coach to Melbourne in time for flights departing from 18:00. Tour arrangements conclude upon arrival at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport or Melbourne CBD (drop-off point to be advised). Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your flights and other travel arrangements, including any additional nights’ accommodation, either before or after the tour. (BL)
Note: At time of publication (January 2020), private owners of gardens had committed to opening their homes and gardens, however they prefer not to be named. While we undertake to operate the tour as published, there may be some changes to the itinerary.
- Renaissance Tours: Private Gardens of Victoria Download
“Trisha always pulls together an itinerary full of surprising venues that we would never have the opportunity to see other than on her tours.”
Judith G. | LANDSCAPES OF THE NSW SOUTH COAST 2019
Prices in $AUD
Per person, twin-share: AUD 3,750
Single supplement*: AUD 550
Deposit per person (at time of booking): AUD 500
* Single travellers may request to share. Please advise at time of booking.
Room category upgrade available on request; please enquire with us.
Final payment due: 15 September 2020
Tour code: GD2010
Fitness level: Above Moderate
Please see Terms & Conditions for fitness level definitions.
Suggested airline: Qantas
Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
Visa: New Zealand passport holders do not require a visa to visit Australia.
Tour price includes:
• Accommodation in centrally located four- and five-star hotels with breakfast daily (B)
• Meals as per itinerary (L = Lunch, D = Dinner), including wine with dinners
• Transportation throughout on comfortable, air-conditioned coaches
• Comprehensive sightseeing, including local guides and entrance fees as per itinerary
• Group transfer to the airport or Melbourne CBD (drop-off point to be advised) on departure
• Gratuities for local guides, drivers and wait staff
• Hotel porterage (one piece per person)
Tour price does not include:
• Airfares (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
• Airport/hotel transfer on arrival
• Airport porterage
• Items of a personal nature (e.g. telephone, laundry, room service, minibar, taxis etc.)
• Travel insurance (highly recommended; please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
Travellers may wish arrive in Melbourne a few days before the tour for this year’s Garden DesignFest from 14-15 November 2020.
Melbourne – The Olsen Melbourne - Art Series *****
Sorrento – Hotel Sorrento ****
Queenscliff –Vue Grand ****
N.B. Hotels of a similar standard may be substituted.